Mar 1, 2012

18 Watt Combo with EL84s or 6V6 output Tubes Cabinet

This is the construction of a 18 watt Wood Guitar Amp Combo Cabinet. I was able to get some nice highly figured Maple from eBay. The Bloodwood (The Red strips) I sourced from a local exotic wood dealer. Here I just finished jointing the edges. I applied glue and am now clamping both side panels at the same time.


While the glue was drying I started making the Speaker Baffle panel. I previously had made a 12" Speaker template. I used a drill to drill a large pilot hole, then used a Jig Saw to rough cut the opening. Here I'm routing the opening using a top bearing straight cut router bit to make the opening match my template.



I changed bits to a round over bit to ease the front edge of the opening.



After the glue dried, I surface planed the two side panels. I'm now using my Incra Fence to cut out the Dovetails. There is a scrap piece of wood in front and in back to reduce splintering/chiping from the router bit.



All done with my Dovetails. These take a long time to setup to get just the right tightness of fit.




This is a dry fit of the panels to make sure everything is okay before applying the glue.



Later I'll just sand flush the dovetail overhangs.



Pretty close on the dovetail alignment with regards to the red strips.



After glue up, now applying about every clamp I own.



For some of my clamps, I needed to add some scraps to protect the wood from the clamps.




Top View. I love the Figured Maple Edges as viewed from the front.



Sanding the cabinet. Since I'm using a black speaker grill cloth. I painted the speaker baffle flat black.




This is the back, where the Amp will attach to. I applied some Spray Lacquer. Many coats, sanding in between each coat.





I put an AX84 amp chassis in for this photo shoot. I'm still working on the amp chassis that will eventually go inside this cabinet.










I should have dusted a bit more. I always hated dusting!






No comments:

Post a Comment