Apr 22, 2012

Full Metal Jacket (Lunchbox amp cont.)

Lunchboxes are metal, so this Lunchbox amp that I'm building will be no different.
I cutout the 0.032" thick Aluminum sheet on the hydraulic shear. Now comes the fun part. Making the 4 bends. My wood part has 0.5" radius rounded corners. I started by taping the sheet onto the flat long side using some masking tape so that it would stay put and stay square.

One down 3 more to go. This was quite a workout bending shaping the metal to get a nice matching round radius.



Number 2, that was even harder. The length is very critical. I found that it wasn't as easy as just making bend like the first one. The bend has to start at the right spot. It took me a while and a lot of hammering and massaging to creep up on the right location for the 2nd. bend to start.


I got lucky on the 3rd bend. Whew! All the time I was checking to make sure it wasn't starting to skew. So far so good, it's lying totally flat on the table.



All done. When I started I was going to cut it in the middle and then butt each end up against each other. In the end I didn't mind the look of the overlapping sheet. It will be much stronger like this and will simplify attaching it using a few screws.

It's upside down in the picture, the seam will be on the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment